Tip #1: Bookmark the Lex Communicate website for LPS staff for easy access in your browser. Links to all things LPS can be found there.
Tip #2: Visit the LPS A to Z Guide to get up to speed on even MORE things LPS.
Tip #3: Look over the NEO Packet handed out during Orientation
New Hire FAQs
What is the LPS Mentoring and Induction program?
- The LPS Mentoring and Induction program consists of two parts: individualized mentoring and Professional Learning courses.
- The professional learning courses include Better Beginnings (first year), Effective Teacher (second year) and a third year course.
- Visit the LPS New Educator Induction Program website for more information and course offerings.
Who gets a mentor?
- Every Unit A new hire gets a mentor for their first year.
- Track 1 educators get a mentor in their second year.
- Any Long Term Sub working in Lexington for at least 10 weeks gets a mentor.
Whom do I speak to with questions?
What is Better Beginnings?
- Better Beginnings is a professional learning program run for first-year educators.
- All new-to-Lexington educators are required to take the core courses (focused on district Core Values)
- New educators take one or more electives, based on their track.
What is The Exemplary Teacher (Formerly the Effective Teacher)?
- Effective Teacher is the year 2 professional learning program for Track 1 and Track 2 educators.
- The course is structured around goal setting and the four Standards in the MA DESE rubrics.
- We offer the course in several varieties including a two-credit, week-long summer course and one-credit, school-year options.
- Effective Teacher I focuses on Standards 1 and 2 for teachers. The course is intended for classroom teachers.
- Effective Teacher II focuses on Standards 3 and 4, which are the same for all educators – teachers, nurses, social workers, etc. While any new educator may enroll, this course is intended for non-traditional educators.
(source: the Mentor Institute)