The Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) Endorsement is a training and licensure requirement that reflects an approach to teaching academic content in English to ELL students. It arose from the RETELL initiative (Rethinking Equity in the Teaching of English Language Learners), which represents a commitment to address the persistent gap in academic proficiency experienced by ELL students.
The SEI Endorsement is required of all Core Academic Teachers (CAT) of ELLs and principals/assistant principals and supervisors/directors who supervise or evaluate such teachers.
Any Core Academic Teacher (CAT) who is assigned an ELL will have 12 months from the time of that assignment to earn the SEI Endorsement.
See Pathways to earning the SEI Endorsement to determine which path applies to you and your license.
You may qualify for the SEI Teacher endorsement through one of the following pathways:
- Enroll in and successfully complete a for-cost course sponsored by an DESE-approved vendor; or
- Complete a Massachusetts-approved educator preparation program for the applicable license; or
- Take and pass the SEI MTEL; or
- Hold an ESL/ELL license in Massachusetts; or
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in an DESE-approved major or DESE-approved graduate-level training. *If you believe that you may qualify for the Endorsement by virtue of having the appropriate degree or graduate level training, you may submit materials to the Office of Educator Licensure for review.