The fourteen-member Executive Board of the LEA is responsible for the management of the organization. The Board is the sole policy-making body of the LEA. It determines the annual dues, is responsible for negotiations with the School Committee, and has all power not expressly delegated to the Officers. The Board, through its actions, furthers these purposes of the organization: to promote ethical standards and professional practices among the membership, to enable its members to speak with a common voice on matters concerning the profession, and to promote the professional and educational interests of the membership in relations with the community.
The Building Representative Committee is made up of LEA representatives elected at each school building. These Building Representatives, along with the building-based PR&R Representatives, are the Association’s grassroots, acting as the liaison between members and the Executive Board. Together, the Building Representative Committee and the PR&R Committee make up the LEA’s Representative Council, which is chaired by the LEA Vice-President.
As members of the Representative Council, Building Reps are responsible for the following:
- Welcoming and assisting new LEA members at their schools
- Regularly checking with new LEA members during the school year to answer questions and provide information
- Participating in the recognition of retiring LEA members
- Assisting in the organization of LEA social functions
- Informing the chair of births, deaths and illnesses among LEA members at their schools
- Reporting local, state, and national teacher association information and activities to their buildings
- Informing members at their buildings of the benefits of membership in the LEA
- Raising funds to support the LEA Scholarship Fund
- Running LEA elections at their buildings
- Polling the members at their buildings on particular issues or matters of interest and importance to the LEA
- Attending meetings of the Representative Council when called by the LEA Vice-President and PR&R Chair.
Professional Rights & Responsibilities (PR&R) Committee
The PR&R (Professional Rights and Responsibilities) Committee is often known as the Grievance Committee or the “Guardians of the Contract.” PR&R is responsible for assisting employees in the processing of individual grievances and for representing the LEA in the processing of class action grievances.
A grievance is a formal process by which a member or a class of members seeks a remedy to a situation believed to be contrary to the contract between the LEA and the School Committee. PR&R has representatives from each school, and its chair is a member of the Executive Board. Along with the Building Representatives, the PR&R Representatives are the grass roots of the LEA and the members’ liaison to the Executive Board.
Together, the PR&R Committee and the Building Representative Committee make up the LEA’s Representative Council, which is chaired by the LEA Vice-President.